- This event has passed.
Everything Is Workable: Intimate Lessons in Meeting Conflict Head On and Heart Open
September 22, 2022 @ 10:00 am - 11:30 am MDT
With Diane Musho Hamilton
8-Week Series via Zoom
Thursdays, September 22 – November 10, 2022
10:00 – 11:30 am MT
6:00 pm CEST on Sept 22, 29, Oct 6, 13, 20, 27,
5:00 pm CEST on Nov 3
6:00 pm CEST on Nov 10
Join Diane Musho Hamilton, author of Everything Is Workable: A Zen Approach to Conflict Resolution, for an in-depth exploration of conflict resolution as an evolving life and spiritual practice.
In eight intimate, live, interactive teaching sessions via Zoom, Diane will guide you in the development of a creative response to conflict, and help you to cultivate a vital set of essential skills for mature, dynamic, and reliable relationships that will serve in your workplace, at home, and in your community.
Open to the enlivening potential of conflict, and experience how working with difference, dissent, and discomfort is a sure and swift path to true intimacy with your own life.
Session 1, September 22: Conflict is Opportunity
- Experience the essential role that conflict plays in your emotional growth and development
- Recognize the creative potential of conflict free of patterns of avoidance, accommodation, or aggression.
- Discover the power of intention
Session 2, September 29 : Scary, Yet Exciting
- Work with emotional states that accompany conflict
- Explore different kinds of “threats”
- Experience essential vitality and skills for calming the nervous system
Session 3, October 6: Three Conflict Styles
- Discover and explore your own conflict style
- Investigate habits of body and mind: Clinging, compromising and competing
- Develop skillful responses through mindfulness, curiosity and freedom.
Session 4, October 13: Practice Week
- Clarifying intention
- Practicing calming the nervous system
- Seeing clearly how engaging conflict helps us to grow
Session 5, October 20: Speak for Yourself: The First Person Perspective
- Taking perspectives – the primary skill in conflict resolution
- Coming from ego or authentic individuality?
- Accommodating healthy self-interest
- Taking responsibility: intention, action, and impact
Session 6, October 27: Listening: The Art of Second Person
- Real listening – the essential skill in conflict resolution
- Exploring common ground and distinctive differences
- Intimacy and communion through listening
Session 7, November 3:, Witnessing for Inner and Outer Peace
- Focus on the inner experience of conflict, and the tremendous gift that meditation provides in overcoming our internal divisions
- Explore the nature of the dualistic mind, the mind that works with two
- Meditation: the art of innocent observation
Session 8, November 10: Course Review
- Assess how your view of conflict has changed
- Practice skills for calming the nervous system
- Evaluate your new responses to conflict
Everything Is Workable is offered by Real LIFE Programs, administered by Two Arrows Zen.